Lightworks is a professional non-linear editing system (NLE) for editing and mastering digital video in various formats, including 2K and 4K resolutions, and television in PAL, NTSC, and high-definition formats. Lightworks Free has all the power of Lightworks, but allows you to export only to MPEG-4 (Web, YouTube and Vimeo) at a maximum resolution of 720p.
Lightworks uses a control interface similar to the industry standard Steenbeck flatbed controller. When introduced in the early 1990s, it provided a number of unique features, such as sync slip, synchronized varispeed playback with audio scrubbing, synchronized multi-channel playback, and an object-oriented user interface with a dedicated hardware console. Some of these features are still absent in competing systems.
Editors using Lightworks have produced numerous internationally renowned and Oscar and Emmy Award winning feature films and television programs, including The King’s Speech, Martin Scorsese’s Hugo and The Departed, Mission Impossible, Pulp Fiction, Braveheart and Batman.
Lightworks is a full-featured editor with all the power, performance and features you would expect, with support for all major professional broadcast formats from SD, HD, 2K and Red 4K files..
- Compatibility: Lightworks can manage all kinds of video formats such as ProrES, avc-INTRA, XDCAM, and more. Its compatibility with multiple file formats is a major feature that only a few editing softwares provide.
- Effects: there is a range of primary and advanced functions embedded in Lightworks that allow users to cut, create, and edit videos. You can add certain special effects to videos and manage audio.
- Audio: Lightworks offers direct-to-timeline voice over tool, protocol support, real time playback, and multi-track audio options.
- Multi-Cam: You can use unlimited sources with dual SDI outputs. This means it is easier to view more than one source simultaneously in sync with your edit.
- Project Sharing: Lightworks offers project sharing capabilities to users. This means you can access another editor’s work with a simple click.
- Multi video editing: You can edit more than one video simultaneously and also manage 3-D videos.
- User-friendly: Lightworks may offer advanced functions and features, but is still user-friendly and simple. Users with a non technical background can quickly learn how to edit and create videos on this software.